School Games Federation of India and National Sports Federations will organize the Khelo India School Games 2018 from 31st January 2018. Minister for Sports and Youth Affairs, Col Rajyavardhan Rathore announced the inaugural of School games and also launched the “Khelo India Logo” at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi.
To encourage students, youths for participation in games the Central government earlier launched the improved Khelo India Programme. The scheme proposes scholarship to top 1000 athletes in the country. The Khelo India School Games 2018 which are going to start from 31st January 2018 could be seen as first step to identify sportspersons and preparing them for Olympic games.
Khelo India School Games 2018
- Organising committee from SGFI and NSFs are directed to conduct Khelo India School Games
- Large number of students will participate in the school games in Khelo India Programme
- The games will be broadcasted by Star Sports
- School Games Federation of India and National Sports Federations will prepare chart and annual calendar for games
- The competition will help in identifying sports talent and get listed at National Talent Search Portal
Khelo India U-17 School Games
The Schools games will began from 31st January and will continue up to 8th February 2018. Students from various schools can participate in 16 disciplines i.e Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Shooting, Swimming, Volleyball, Weightlifting, and Wrestling. More than 450+ medals will be given to winning athletes
Prizes for Khelo India Games 2018
Winning participants will get medals in various sports as given in table
|Prize||Number of Medals|
What is Khelo India Programme
The Khelo India is a initiative by central government for promotion and mass participation of sports which covers
- Setting up of Khelo India Centres at various parts of country
- The centres will look after the Khelo School games for Under 17 age players and Khelo College games for under 21 age players
- The scheme also covers regular physical fitness check-up of school students for better health
- Identification of players from their past and present performances and training them for National, International Games
- It also aims to promote sports among women and physically disabled persons
One of the major benefit of Khelo India Programme is that the government will select top 1000 players, sportspersons and give them Rs.5 lakh scholarship every year for their training and prepare them for Olympics game.