PM Modi has launched National Nutrition Mission or referred as Rashtriya Poshan Mission for women and children. The nation-wide NNM programme is a joint project of Ministry for women and child development, health department and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. The Rashtriya Poshan Mission covers all the central schemes.
The National Nutrition mission will be implemented by joining the schemes of WCD and health department to provide better health care services to children and women. Malnutrition is one of the cause of death for infants and the National Nutrition Mission will help to eradicate such problems. Some of the highlights of Rashtriya Poshan Mission 2018 are given below
Objectives of Rashtriya Poshan Mission 2018
- The programme will focus to fight with malnutrition in children and infants
- Measures will be taken to treat anemia affected children and reduce under-nutrition and low birth weight babies
- Targeted Goals will be set before starting with monitoring of programme
- Encourage NGO’s/ SHG’s and other organizations to help pregnant women
- State/ UT’s will be guided to supervise the National Nutrition Mission on ground level
The central government had earlier launched various schemes for pregnant women and children. Expansion in number of days under maternity leave is also a step by government so that both the mother and baby get proper care. Under Rashtriya Poshan Mission 2018 the department will be directed to implement programmes by targeting goals.
Features of National Nutrition Mission
- Under nutrition among children is targeted to reduce by 2% in a year
- As per the National Family Health Survey 4 stunting to be reduce to 25% by 2022
- Real Time Monitoring will be done for the programmes launched under NNM
- National Resource centres will be set up to provide guidelines and components required under Rashriya Poshan Mission
- Anganwadi workers/ mini-helpers will be given incentive to use smartphones and providing feedback through nutritional app
However to avail the benefits applicant should register their Aadhaar Card. The National Nutrition Mission/ Rashtriya Poshan Mission 2018 will be carried out at national level throughout the country.